24 January 2007

sunshine

a regal madrona tree in discovery park


there's something about a sunny day in the middle of winter that makes me feel hopeful. i can't quite explain it, but it stirs something inside me and i feel like i can do anything i set my mind to--that nothing is out of reach. i feel like i have all the energy in the world. i want to be productive--clean the house, exercise, go for a long walk and let the crisp, cool air fill my lungs.

i was fortunate enough to spend a few hours in one of my favorite coffee shops this morning as i had some work that was better done away from the distractions of office phones and emails. so i sat at a table by the window and was blessed to see the sun overhead, casting beautiful wintery shadows as i looked out across the street.
the sun seems to move so quickly on winter days that you have to take every advantage to bask in its rare appearances. and being out of the office for a few short hours today gave me just such an opportunity. if it hadn't been quite so chilly, i think i would have tried to sit outside on one of the adirondack chairs to complete my work, but as it was, i got to be warmed by the sun from my window perch just the same.
on my way back to the office i caught a glimpse of the always amazing olympic mountains, glorious in all their snow-capped majesty. i don't think i will ever grow tired of gazing at these mountains. there is something so powerfully alluring about them for me...they make me full of wonder, awe-struck by their immensity, and again, full of hope and so much possibility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so beautiful today wasn't it! I felt the warm sun on my face while running errands and it sort of took me by suprise in a really good way. I can picture you at your coffee shop...I think it's because when we meet it is there :)...have you done any writing lately? You have an amazing way with words so I hope so!

Eliza said...

Thanks for sharing this photo--I love madrona trees. I often call them Arbutus trees, which is the name used in Canada, home to the largest examples of these trees that I have ever seen.