19 October 2007

glimpses of south africa

i haven't been posting like i hoped i would, but i decided i should at least post a handful of pictures to give you all a glimpse of what i've been experiencing for the past few weeks. i'm having an amazing time, meeting great people and have had the great fortune to cast my eyes on so many beautiful things. i'll let the pictures speak for themselves. enjoy!

Paarl and the Drakenstein Valley

Paarl Rock

kids in Mbekweni township



me and my buddy Thabo

outside Drakenstein Prison, the last place Mandela stayed before he was released after 27 years as a political prisoner

beautiful farm country along the N2, one of the most stunning roadways i've ever had the pleasure to cast eyes upon

Botlierskop Game Reserve

a white rhino


a hungry lion


giraffes gracefully running away from the sound of the helicopter hovering overhead


the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront and clouds obscuring Table Mountain in the top right


a different view and Table Mountain on a clearer day



Wine Country and Wine Tasting
tokara vineyards, stellenbosch



hazendal winery, est. 1699


tasting at boschendal winery


jackass penguins at simon's town, named for the donkey sound they make



Tidepool Exploring and Whale Watching, Hermanus


exploring with water


the star shell was crawling...


a southern right whale breaching...amazing!

9 comments:

Kristen Gough said...

wow, amy... so great to see what you've been seeing and living while in south africa. these photographs are incredible! i'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip when you get home! what an amazing time it appears you've been having. love, kristen

Tiffany said...

Yay Amy! I'm so proud of you for going on your trip and feel like a dork that I didn't get to talk to you in the planning stages. I keep thinking of you and trying to picture you in SA, so thanks for the pics to help me have clearer visions! I keep hoping you'll run into Desmond Tutu somehow although I know it's a ridiculous wish.

Chris Gough said...

That is amazing, Rebekah told me about these pictures and I had to come a nd take a look, I hope that all is well AJ!

Kari said...

Wow!!!! Thanks for posting Amy, it all looks amazing!! I hope you are having a wonderful time and can't wait to hear all about it when you return.
love,
Kari

Bree said...

I love all these photos! It looks like and amazing trip. I hope these last few days are great ones and that you travels home are safe and uneventful. I will be looking forward to seeing you soon and hearing all your travel tales.

Anonymous said...

I am in love with all of your photos and can't wait to hear more details. It seems like a life changing experience - I am jealous but am living vicariously, thanks for the photo post!!

Jenny said...

These images are spectacular! How I miss new places, faces, architecture, scenery. It seems like you must be having an amazing time. Thanks for blogging a bit!

Jenny said...

btw, were you at a wildlife park? I think I might freak out if I saw those animals on a regular basis!

Aleah said...

Looks like a beautiful place!
Mountains the sea, vineyards, cute kids...

Hope you had a great time!